|Model||D'Angelico Excel Replica|
A little bit of history, a little bit of intrigue…
This is a one-of-a-kind replica of the original D’Angelico Excel made for Johnny Smith in 1950. I originally purchased this instrument from a British dealer who believed it was made in 1992.
This gorgeous guitar was once owned by French guitarist Marcel Dadi, a keen collector of D’Angelico originals and replicas. Dadi, a very close friend of Chet Atkins, perished in the TWA flight 800 tragedy, and the guitar was subsequently sold from his shop after his death.
We believe it has a single floating HI-A pickup made by Bartolini (unable to verify), and no tone control. According to Bartolini’s Web site, HI-A pickups were manufactured from 1973 until 1978. It delivers gorgeous, warm jazz perfection.
Guitar is constructed of solid spruce top, maple sides and back, three-piece maple-ebony-maple neck with ebony fretboard. It has ivoroid binding on front, back, f-holes and neck, and masterfully crafted brilliant mother-of-pearl inlays.
The tone from this instrument is absolutely stunning: smooth, clear and bell-like with ringing clarity and excellent acoustic projection. Amazingly balanced from top to bottom. It is a very elegant piece.
A thorough look inside by two experienced luthiers has revealed an exceptional build, but absolutely no identifying signature, date or any other marks that might have told us who the builder was, so it is impossible for me to verify or guarantee its construction. One also expressed his feeling that the slender Johnny Smith styled neck and magnificent headstock could well be original D’Angelico stock, much of which was sold to various collectors when John D. passed away. It is that good. Everyone who has ever played it has said exactly the same thing. “Just incredible.”
Includes beautiful custom Cedar Creek Deluxe Faux Alligator Case with purple plush lining which I specifically had made for The Falcon.
SPECS: 17″ Body Width, 3″ Body Depth, 25 1/2″ Scale, 1 11/16 Nut
- New York
Popular Ads Overall
- Dake Traphagen Torres 640 Scale 2006 Classical Guitar European Maple/Spruce – Extremely Rare! (88 views)
- Robert Ruck Classical Guitar 2003 Absolutely Gorgeous Rare Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood (80 views)
- 1995 Hermann Hauser III ~ Segovia Model ~ Classical Guitar (71 views)
- 1998 Gibson Custom Shop Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar – AAA – MINT! (71 views)
- 2000 Benedetto Manhattan AAAA-flamed Honey Blond (Guild Custom Shop) – Collectible! (67 views)
- 1954 Gibson ES-175 Spectacular, Mint! (64 views)
- Buscarino Monarch 17″ Hand Carved Solid Woods (61 views)
- 1994 Buscarino Starlight (prototype) (60 views)
- 1980 Gibson ES-175/CC (Charlie Christian) Rare Collectible (59 views)
- FALCON EXCEL (D’Angelico Replica) (53 views)
- FENDER ’65 Super Reverb Amp Blackface Reissue
- Emery Microbaby Amp & Speaker
- 1998 Gibson Custom Shop Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar – AAA – MINT!
- Buscarino Monarch 17″ Hand Carved Solid Woods
- FALCON EXCEL (D’Angelico Replica)
- 2000 Benedetto Manhattan AAAA-flamed Honey Blond (Guild Custom Shop) – Collectible!
- 1980 Gibson ES-175/CC (Charlie Christian) Rare Collectible
- 1954 Gibson ES-175 Spectacular, Mint!
- Robert Ruck Classical Guitar 2003 Absolutely Gorgeous Rare Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
- POLYTONE MEGA-BRAIN JAZZ GUITAR AMP HEAD w/Foot switch!